Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Healthy muffins

Last week, Ron had his yearly appointment with his cardiologist (he has atrial fibrillation). I went with him for this appointment, I like hearing things straight from the horse's mouth. One of the things Ron needs to work on, his weight. Both of us have been pretty lax in our diets lately (for many reasons) and it's time to get back on track. So no more sweet granola bars for breakfast, I'm making muffins. High fiber, low calorie muffins. I call them "colon blow muffins." Oh how I love classic SNL. Anyways, I started with this apple muffin recipe from KAF, but I've changed it so much, I think I can call it my own recipe. And even though I cut down the sugars by more than half, these muffins still have enough sweetness. Here we go.

Christine's Colon Blow Muffins

3/4 cup white whole wheat flour (or regular whole wheat)
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup hi maize fiber (or corn flour, not starch)
1/2 cup oat bran
2 tbsp potato flour
1/4 cup almond meal or flour (if you do not have one or all of these flours, use all wheat flour)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp cinnamon
6 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar (plus more for sprinkling if desired)
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk (I use the milk and lemon juice substitution)
1 tbsp granular lecithin (if you don't have it, up butter to 7 tbsp)
1/3 cup raisins, and or nuts of your choice


Instructions
-preheat oven to 375 degrees
-cream butter and both sugars in bowl of mixer

-mix flours, baking powder and soda, salt and cinnamon separately

-add egg, lecithin and buttermilk mixture to sugar mixture, adding buttermilk slowly



-mix in flours

-stir in raisins and nuts

-grease or line muffin pan
-spoon batter into muffin pan, makes 12
-sprinkle a little brown sugar on top of muffins if desired
-bake at 375 for 25 to 30 minutes

Let cool and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment