Friday, December 17, 2010

Finished vanilla! and Christmas cookies

It's all ready to go! After more than two months of steeping in my cupboard, I've bottled and started giving away my homemade vanilla extract. I used some in my whole wheat m&m cookies tonight, and they tasted fine. I was a little worried because the extract isn't nearly as dark as I thought it would be. About a week ago, I was searching this problem online and came across Jamie Deen's (one of Paula's sons, who I usually find annoying) recipe for making vanilla extract. He heats and simmers the vodka on the stove before adding it to the beans. Does the heat draw out the vanilla faster than room temperature vodka? I should know this but I don't.

Anyways, I bought stick on mail labels at Staples and made little labels for the bottles, which I ordered here. I ordered some 2oz bottles and some 4oz. I am giving them out to friends, family members and I even gave one in my company's Yankee Swap last night.

Speaking of my work, I made more sugar cookies for the Christmas party too. They were gone pretty quickly, and a co-worker's daughter would not believe that I made them, even after I told her that I made them!

No comments:

Post a Comment