Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Apple muffins

This past weekend was great. Not only did I get to go to Maine for the weekend without the girls (my dogs), I also got to go to the King Arthur Flour store in Vermont yesterday. I picked up a few things that I didn't end up ordering when I online shopped a few weeks ago, like a wooden pastry rolling pin, some more potato flour since I'm starting to run low, and some non-diastatic malt powder for the next time I decide to make bagels.

I decided I needed to bake something tonight. Ron, my dear husband, asked me to make bran muffins last week. My mother had given him some from one of the grocery stores and he loved it. I thought, homemade would be so much better. So I decided to make the KAF apple muffins, and modified them a little to make them more healthy.

Luckily I had made some dried apples with my plethora of apples a couple weeks ago.


I modified the batter a lot actually. Instead of a cup of AP flour and a cup of white whole wheat, I used 1/2 a cup AP, 3/4 white whole wheat, 1/4 corn flour (KAF sells it as high fiber maize flour but I'm told it's the same thing), and 1/2 a cup of oat bran. I also cut the dried apples to a 1/2 cup, and added some raisins, cinnamon chips and chopped pecans.

They came out pretty well. I think if I make them again I should add a little less of the flours as they seem to be a bit more crumbly then they should be. I didn't put quite as much brown sugar on top as the recipe called for either. I think a little goes a long way and they are plenty sweet for breakfast. Also, the batter made more than the 12 muffins the recipe states, I made ten mini muffins with the extra batter for myself.
Although crumbly, they are really good and perfect for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment