Thursday, October 28, 2010

fun with pastry dough

Now, when I started this blog, I thought I'd only be making new recipes to blog about. But there are some items that I make often, like KAF's cinnamon sticks and toaster tarts. They're just so good! I've played with the recipes a little, making the dough with whole wheat flour once, and filling them with goodies other than cinnamon-sugar. Today I saw mini palmiers at Trader Joe's. I've stopped buying things I can bake myself, so I passed them by but thought "Why can't I make my own with the cinnamon stick dough?" So I decided to try.


I've been trying to add more wheat flour into my recipes lately, so I substitued 1/2 a cup of whole wheat flour in for some of the AP. I rolled out the dough and cut it into strips.


I brushed the strips with a little milk, and sprinkled some cinnamon sugar on them.

I then folded the ends of the strips almost into the center, then folded them one more time and folded them into the palmier shape.


Onto the parchment lined cookie sheet, brushed with a tiny bit more milk and sprinkled with coarse sugar on top. They were ready for the oven. 350 F for about 15 minutes.

Here they are. They looked pretty good, although they lost their shape a little. At least they are good enough to hold me over til next summer when I can get the "real" ones at my favorite bakery in Ogunquit, Maine. Although I think anything with this dough is going to turn out delicious. I think a savory treat will be next...

No comments:

Post a Comment