Friday, October 8, 2010

Noon Rogani Bread

Even though my husband and I are going away for the long weekend, I decided I still wanted to bake today. Since I've been on a cinammon kick lately, I decided to make noon rogani bread. I made it once this spring when KAF first emailed me about the new recipe. It came out okay, but not great. I thought I'd give it another go.

I made the dough, as stated in the recipe, letting the flour, yeast and water rest after mixing. This does not look like the "slurry" they describe in the recipe, but I kept going.

I added the sugar, salt and vegetable oil in the mixer, and the dough seemed really stiff. I let the mixer do some kneading for a few minutes before trying to knead it myself.
It was WAY to dry. I added a touch more oil, and a couple of tablespoons more of water and put it back in the mixer. It didn't really want to knead. So I kneaded it by hand for a couple of minutes before putting it in a bowl to see if it would rise.



It did. Good.

I decided, like last time, to make two smaller loaves, mainly because my counterspace is limited and I knew I couldnt roll out a 5 foot piece of dough. So I split the dough and rolled out the first piece into a rectangle. PS, I used the KAF rolled dough improver, which did seem to help the dough not spring back when rolled.



Then I brushed the melted butter and sprinkled the cinnamon sugar. Mmmm.



I rolled the pieces and stretched them out to almost three feet in length. (This is before it was stretched)



I then twisted the logs and rolled them into a loose coil. (I would have illustrated this process, but everytime I let go of the log, it tried to untwist.)

Back into the oven for the second rise.



And here they are after baking. The crust is crunchy, and the inside is chewy and sweet. The nerves of the stiff dough were calmed after trying a piece of this bread!




As part of my weekend away, my husband and I are going to trek from Maine to the KAF store in Vermont. Even though I have a ton of baking stuff already, I could always use more!!

No comments:

Post a Comment